Friday, January 2, 2009

NYE Apps

We decided to just do an appetizer night for New Years this year. It was great! We snuggled into our lounge clothes and I tried to keep Kevin awake til midnight. Well we did end up toasting at 11:00 with the Disney count-down (yes I'm a huge Disney fan, I love Hannah, the Wizards of Waverly Place, yep I'm a dork) and then Kevin went on to bed. I started watching a Lifetime movie and stayed up til 1 am.

Here is what we made:
both of these are from the Pilsbury website!
Italian Pinwheels
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz)
1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, finely chopped (I used turkey because I had it on hand and will never make it like that again, it tasted funny all chopped up)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves--I used a tsp of Italian Seasoning
1 egg yolk
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™ refrigerated flaky dough sheet
1 egg white, beaten

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, mix cheese, pepperoni, oregano and egg yolk. (I doubled this mixture due to other reviews and was glad I did)
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough; separate dough into 4 rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough; cut into 4 rectangles.
3. Spread each rectangle with about 3 tablespoons pepperoni mixture. Starting at shortest side, roll up each rectangle; pinch edges to seal. Cut each roll into 6 slices. Place, cut side down, 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with beaten egg white. (I then sprinkled with some parmesan cheese).
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.


I made these at Thanksgiving and they got rave reviews so I made them again!
Cheese Crescent Triangles
4 oz tomato-basil feta cheese, finely crumbled (1 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (2 medium)
1 egg, well beaten
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™ refrigerated flaky dough sheet
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, mix feta cheese, green onions and 3 tablespoons of the beaten egg.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough; separate into 4 rectangles. Press perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough; cut into 4 rectangles.
3. Press each rectangle into 7 1/2x5-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle into 3 rows by 2 rows to make 6 (2 1/2-inch) squares. Top each dough square with slightly rounded measuring teaspoon feta cheese mixture. Fold dough over filling, forming triangle; press edges to seal. On ungreased cookie sheets, place triangles 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining 3 dough rectangles and feta cheese mixture.
4. Brush tops with remaining beaten egg. Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.


Buffalo Chicken Dip

and Bacon Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
I totally winged this idea after getting the idea from the girls on the What's Cooking board:
I made about 12 dates
Slice Dates 1/2 way open, remove pit and discard pit, place about 1 tsp on goat cheese on inside of date.
Slice 4 slices of bacon in thirds roll a date inside a slice of bacon.
Sprinkle with some brown sugar and bake for about 25 minutes at 350!

And I made my mom's Hot Chocolate (I have no idea where she got this recipe, she's made it for years!)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup baking cocoa (I use Hersheys)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
6 1/2 cups hot water (I will half this with heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 if I have it on hand to make it creamier)
Mix all of the ingredients and heat through in a pot on the stove over medium heat and then reduce to low if you will be drinking on it all day. I also make this in the crockpot and it works just fine, just mix all ingredients in crockpot place on high until everything gets mixed together well and then put on low. I like it in the crockpot better, if you place it on the stove it begins to get a film on the top but once moved aside the hot chocolate is still wonderful!

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Sounds like your New Years Eve was filled with lots of great appetizers. I love snacking on apps all night long.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks delicious. I have never had bacon wrapped dates, they look good!