Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pasta E Falioli

Beans and Pasta? This was pretty much my husband's response when I told him the menu this week. I went ahead and made it since I had heard so much about it, well he loved it, and so did I. This will stay in our rotation for sure! (Yes we already changed out menu for the week, but I forgot I needed to go to the store to buy the ingredients for the crock pot meal this week, so I'll make it tomorrow while I'm busy on house stuff!)





PASTA E FAGLIOLI
Credit: Smells Like Home
by way of Full Bellies, Happy Kids


2 tablespoons EVOO
1 medium onion, diced (we didn't use as we don't like onion)
4 strips bacon (uncooked and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
2 cloves garlic, minced (used 2 tsp. minced garlic)
3 cups jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce *I used 1 Jar of spaghetti sauce*

1 (15oz) can cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)

2 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano cheese, plus more for garnish *substituted Parmesan cheese for the pecorino-romano*

1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper (pinches to taste)
1 lb ditalini pasta or other small tubular pasta (i.e., elbows) *I one box of penne*




In a deep stockpot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat then saute onions for 3 minutes. Add bacon and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring to keep the bacon from burning.

Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-low, add sauce, beans, 2 tbsp pecorino-romano cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Stir to combine well and cook for 15 min. While sauce mixture is cooking, cook pasta until tender and drain well. Add pasta to sauce mixture and combine well.

Turn heat to low and allow pasta and sauce flavors to “mingle” for 5 minutes. Serve with grated cheese and crusty bread, if desired.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

No comments: